About the Program

The Arts & Consciousness mentorship program at John F. Kennedy University provides a transdisciplinary model for self-directed students to investigate, research and develop specialized techniques, skills and capacities in conjunction with a creative practice or project. Mentorships may include experiential exercises, supervised research, assigned readings, studio visits, critiques and/or individualized training, as determined by the student's artistic and/or professional objectives.

Friday, December 3, 2010

Day of the Dead Exhibition - A Community Mentorship

by Jennifer Jervis, MFA Candidate


During this mentorship, I had the opportunity to work one on one with Artist/curator Fernando Hernandez on the Days of the Dead exhibition, Folk Art in the Third Millennium, at the Meek Mansion in Hayward, Ca.
Working with Fernando, I helped create and install artwork, worked with volunteers, collaborated on curriculum, taught the curriculum to my students and installed their work (and my own) in the show. Fernando included me on all aspects of the curation process, from the pre-planning stages in August to receiving art from artists in September and October.
Fernando was a patient mentor, answering any questions I had and helping me figure out the installation of my students’ work. He helped me find solutions for hanging and lighting the work and gave me great feedback on my curriculum project. He entrusted me to communicate instructions to the volunteers while working on the community panels for the show.
Through this mentorship, I learned a great deal about curating a multi-room exhibition, coordinating work from a large number of artists and student artists, working with volunteers, writing curriculum specifically for an exhibition and planning an opening community celebration event.