About the Program

The Arts & Consciousness mentorship program at John F. Kennedy University provides a transdisciplinary model for self-directed students to investigate, research and develop specialized techniques, skills and capacities in conjunction with a creative practice or project. Mentorships may include experiential exercises, supervised research, assigned readings, studio visits, critiques and/or individualized training, as determined by the student's artistic and/or professional objectives.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

New Mentor: Carol Newborg- Installation Artist

Forbidden Entry

Carol Newborg
www.carolnewborg.com
carol.newborg@gmail.com


















My work has focused on installations, originally in ceramics, and more recently with lightweight handmade multiples. In the earlier installations my goal often was to create meditative ‘sanctuary’ environments. In the past few years, I’ve used natural forms and elements and created hundreds of small pieces. No two pieces are alike but all are similar, much as objects found in nature might be.
Muro  para recuerdos

Recently I’ve had installations at the Seattle Art Museum Gallery and locally through Art at the Cheese Factory. In 2009, I was an artist-in-residence at the de Young Kimball Education Gallery, and I’ve also had exhibits at the SFMOMA Artists Gallery.
Findings


Waterfall

While exhibiting installations, I’ve also worked in community arts for several decades. My broadest experience was with California’s Arts-in-Corrections Program, and with AIC and California Arts Council support I founded a studio in a women’s prison. I also organized statewide exhibits and events for AIC. In 2009, I became involved again with prison arts programs through William James Association, and I teach at San Quentin’s small art program now. Over the years I’ve also worked at Creative Growth, in senior adult programs, with children, and I taught at Cal Poly Pomona.