About the Program

The Arts & Consciousness mentorship program at John F. Kennedy University provides a transdisciplinary model for self-directed students to investigate, research and develop specialized techniques, skills and capacities in conjunction with a creative practice or project. Mentorships may include experiential exercises, supervised research, assigned readings, studio visits, critiques and/or individualized training, as determined by the student's artistic and/or professional objectives.

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Focused Intensive with Lisa Kokin

by Jen Jervis


Goals for Mentorship:
To receive critical feedback on the projects that I was developing, creating and showing
To learn about various methods to present works of fiber art, including installation ideas
To dialogue about my art, future plans for my art, and my upcoming review and show


Summary of actual experience:
I met with Lisa every 2 weeks to discuss the progress I had made on the pieces I was working on, including my red web piece, my black "corpse" piece and, especially, my off-white moth piece. She helped me get ready for my Final A review, gave me critical feedback on my work, and gave me advice as projects moved from concept to completion. 
Lisa recommended artists and websites for me to look at, recommended books and showed me parts of her creative process during our meetings. 
I feel that I was particularly productive during this mentorship, going beyond the required number of hours to develop, experiment with and complete my work.

Jen Jervis
I would absolutely recommend Lisa Kokin for future mentorships. She is thoughtful, intelligent and immensely talented. Her critique style is gentle while being honest and direct. She asks thoughtful questions and makes recommendations that are very helpful.